Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Marshmallows

A couple of weeks ago my family, Dave and I went 'camping' we slept in a trailer, had running water and a bathroom, so I don't really count it as camping but we did have a bonfire! When you have a bonfire you need something to roast (And seeing as I try to limit the amount of sugar I eat) I made marshmallows for the trip and thought I would document the experience to share! I made two different kinds, one was with Agave (they were super easy to make!) and the one I will be showing was made with Fructose.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cornstarch for dusting
  • 2 cups Fructose (can substitute with sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • 1 1/4 cups water, divided
  • 4 packets unflavored gelatin
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Dust a 9x9 inch square dish generously with cornstarch (I probably should have put a little more on my dish, they stuck a tiny bit)



In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together white sugar, corn syrup and 3/4 cup water. Heat to 250 to 265 degrees F (121 to 129 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a rigid ball.


While syrup is heating, place remaining water in a cup (1/4 cup) and sprinkle gelatin over the surface. Microwave cup for 30 seconds, stopping once to stir, microwave longer if needed until gelatin has dissolved completely.


Keep gelatin in a warm place until syrup has come to temperature.


Remove syrup from heat and whisk gelatin mixture into hot syrup. Set aside.


In a separate bowl, whip egg whites to soft peaks.


Continue to beat, pouring syrup mixture into egg whites in a thin stream


Mix until the egg whites are very stiff. Stir in vanilla.


Spread evenly in prepared pan and let rest 8 hours or overnight (I always do overnight) before cutting. Heat the spatula if you are having trouble spreading the mixture.


Dust the top with cornstarch and remove carefully from the dish


Cut the marshmallow, I like using clean scissors but a knife would do (you might need to heat the knife under hot water, to keep it from sticking)


Cut into strips


Then cut into squares and roll in cornstarch (I put the cornstarch in a bowl and roll them in there) until they are completely coated.

And now you are ready to go! I like to have them sit out overnight uncovered after they are cut, to dry them out a little but that is completely optional!

5 comments:

Fox and Amy said...

Ooh--looks yummy! Do you have the recipe for the agave one? I have some agave I need to use up!

Mrs Abbott said...

I love them! and I love your nail color too! I think I may make these for neighbor Christmas gifts, is that okay?

Helena said...

Ooh, these look good! Mom would be proud :)

Amber said...

I think Christmas gifts are a great idea, you can add a little red food coloring at the end to give it a swirled look! Amy, I will send the recipe to you, they are super easy and turn out great! They are a little less fluffy and aren't as white but they are still really good :)

Chantel said...

Oh, these were delicious! As were the agave ones. They look almost as good as they tasted. Good work :-)