Friday, April 2, 2010

Six Years

I don't want to go in to the details of how it happened today (though I don't mind if you ask next time you see me) I just want to share a little piece of her with all of you instead.



This is my Mom, Donna.
As you can see this was taken at her wedding to my Dad. They met when my Mom was dancing and my Dad was running the auditorium the recital was being performed at. My mother was a great dancer and she even started teaching when she was only 9 years old!



(Chantel is the baby being held by my Mom, then there is my older brother Jimmy, Helena is the one who looks like she is the tallest and I am the one holding the cookie)

This is a scanned picture of a scanned picture, so isn't the best quality. I think this was taken during Christmas (all the cookies was what gave it away). My Mom loved Christmas and always made sure we had a great one, she would decorate up a storm and back dozens of cookies. Her love of Christmas has rubbed off on me and I have followed in her Christmas loving foot steps.



(My family in front of a windmill
From left to right, starting in the back. Amber, my Mom, my Dad, David, Chantel and then Helena in her dutch dance costume)

For most of my childhood we lived near Holland Michigan and in the spring there was a flower festival called 'tulip time'. As teenagers my sisters Helena and Chantel were Dutch Dancers and they would perform in their wooden dance shoes the different authentic Dutch Dances, all throughout the festival. My Mom loved it and would go to every performance, rain or shine! My Mom was good like that, she never missed anything any of her kids did, if it was the 10th showing of a play she had already seen or the ever-repetitive yearly choir performance, she was there.

I hope you got to catch a glimpse of how my Mom was and what she was like. Though today is a sad day I also want it to be a day of memories.


5 comments:

Chantel said...

Beautiful post Amber. Thanks for posting the pictures, and the memories :-) I love you.

Fox and Amy said...

Amber--your Mom is so beautiful! I know she would be so happy with how all of her kids are doing. You have such an amazing, lovely, talented family.

Kelsy said...

I really appreciated you sharing that. Plus your traditions seem so much more meaningful now that I know the history. I'm glad you keep the traditions and memories so precious.

Here Dwells Happiness said...

Very touching. Thanks for sharing even though it was hard.

Unknown said...

I did not even see this post till now! How did I miss it? Thank you for it. It was beautiful.