Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A better Late Than Never, Christmas Blog Post!


I stole this Q & A from Larissa (my sister-in-law) she had posted it on her blog for a Christmas countdown she is doing and I thought it would be a fun way to start of the Christmas blogging season :)

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I Love them both! But if I have to pick I would say Egg Nog for the holidays (though I do think I am going to try Larissa's idea of hot chocolate with Egg Nog instead of milk!)

2. Does Santa wrap your presents or just sit them under the tree? Not only has Santa always wrapped our gifts but each kid in the family has a special wrapping paper each year that all their gifts from him are wrapped in! It was always exciting to see what your paper that year was and which gifts were from Santa!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Solid colors on everything, I like how it looks when they are all solid strands. I usually like white on the house and then solids on everything else :)

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I think I did last year, though I usually pick some up but then end up misplacing it... I don't know what it is about the mistletoe! I just always forget where I put it!

5. When do you put up your decorations? In the beginning of December (not this year though, I have to unpack first) When I was living at home, I would stay up and decorate all night, so in the morning everyone would wake up to a Christmas wonderland :) My Mom used to do that for us kids and when it got to be too much for her I started doing it instead.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? I have so many! I always look forward to sweet potato casserole (ones without marshmallows on top) and Raspberry soup are probably my favorites. I also love all the cookies and other treats that go along with the holiday season!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? The holidays have always been really special, so I have so many! I think my favorite tradition is that throughout the holiday season my Mom would make (and now I do) a ton of cookies, dozens and dozens of kinds, making hundreds of cookies and then on Christmas eve we would (and still do) put them all out on the table and then we would get to eat as many as we wanted (this was a huge deal when I was a kid! No one told you when to stop and you got to eat as many as you wanted!) That has always been so fun!

8. Did you write letters to Santa? I don't think I ever did, but we would always go to see him at the mall or at another fun location when we were younger.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We didn't get to pick out a gift to open but my parents always gave us a pair of pajamas, a book and sometimes slippers. We would wear the pajamas to bed on Christmas Eve, then read the book to try and get to sleep and in the morning put on our slippers to open our gifts!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Growing up the tree was full of eclectic ornaments that had been collected throughout the years and lots and lots of tinsel! I have many wonderful memories of my family trimming our tree(not to mention the tinsel fights!) My Mom sometimes had a few other trees also, her fancy tree (we were not allowed to touch!) it was full of beautiful ornaments that would break if you so much as looked at them :) and she had a Nativity tree (she really loved Nativities!) Now Dave and I decorate with red and silver balls, white lights and red ribbon. It turns out very pretty if I do say so myself :)

11. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Traditions are huge deal in my family, so there are many! I already wrote about the pajamas and cookies on Christmas Eve but I just don't know which tradition is my favorite... I love all the baking that I get to do in preparation for the Christmas Eve cookie feast... But maybe my favorite tradition is before bed. Chantel, David and I (sometimes Helena if she wasn't reading little women, her Christmas Eve tradition) would all crowd in the same room and have a slumber party. We had fun things we would do together before we went to sleep, we would search out the window for Santa, pick out our favorite cookies to put on a plate along with carrots for Santa and his reindeer, and then fall asleep listening to a tape full of Christmas stories that I had made (I would record new one each year). It was always a very fun and special time.

12. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? This is difficult because it can be interpreted so many ways. It is important to me keep the focus on the true meaning of Christmas, not just giving and being selfless but the reason we celebrate in the first place, the Birth of Jesus Christ! It can be hard to 'fit' him in sometimes and I really try and keep the reason for the season in mind! It is also very important for me to make sure Christmas is memorable and wonderful for everyone, spending time with family along with expressing my appreciation and love to them!

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and are able to have joy during this Christmas season!
Feel free to steal this Q&A and post it on your Blog! I would Love to read about your Christmas memories and traditions!

4 comments:

Helena said...

Oh Amber, this is great! I am also going to try the hot chocolate with egg nog- that sounds yummy. Reading this brought back so many memories.

Douglas Smith said...

Great post Amber. It was fun to read.
I especially agree that spending time with family and expressing love and appreciation for them is a very important part of Christmas.
Sheelah and I are blessed to have wonderful family. We're really looking forward to seeing you and David this Christmas!! ♥ Doug & Sheelah

Sheelah said...

Hi, Amber!
Doug just imported the blogs to my computer, so I can now keep up with everyone. I loved your post about your family Christmas traditions--it reminded me of the ones we had when I was little! We can't wait to see you & Dave SOON! Love, Sheelah

Chantel said...

I love your post, great Q&A. Also, your blog background is awesome! It is so stinkin cute! Good job!